Vanderslott, S. (August 2021). Attention and Responsibility in Global Health: The Currency of Neglect. Routledge.
Vanderslott, S. and Kirchhelle, C. (under contract – 2021). Typhoidland: The Past, Present, and Future of an Ancient Disease. Scala Publishing.
- Vanderslott S, Van Ryneveld M, Marchant M, Kwedi S, Lees S, Marsh V (forthcoming – 2021) How can community engagement in health research be strengthened for infectious disease outbreaks in Sub-Saharan Africa? A scoping review of the literature. BMC Public Health.
- Fairgrieve, D. Holm, S. Howells G. Kirchhelle, C. Vanderslott, S. In favour of a bespoke COVID-19 vaccines compensation scheme, (2021). The Lancet Infectious Diseases, ISSN 1473-3099, doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00065-7
- Hoernke, K, Djellouli, N, Andrews, L, Lewis-Jackson, S, Manby, L, Martin, S, Vanderslott, S, Vindrola-Padros, C (2021). Frontline healthcare workers’ experiences with personal protective equipment during the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK: a rapid qualitative appraisal.
- Kirchhelle C and Vanderslott S (2021) Editorial: The Need for Harmonised International Guidelines ahead of COVID-19 Human Infection Studies Public Health Rev. 42:1603962. doi: 10.3389/phrs.2021.1603962
- Vanderslott, S. and Marks, T. (2020). Vaccine entry requirements as a disease control measure: Lessons from yellow fever. Global Public Health. doi.org/10.1080/17441692.2020.1805786
- Freeman, D. Loe, B. Chadwick, A. Vaccari, C. Waite, F. Rosebrock, L. Jenner, L. Petit, A. Lewandowsky, S. Vanderslott, S. et al. (2020). COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy in the UK: The Oxford Coronavirus Explanations, Attitudes, and Narratives Survey (OCEANS) II. Psychological Medicine, 1-34. doi:10.1017/S0033291720005188
- Almond, J. Hacker, J. Harwood, C. Pizza, M. Rappouli, R. Ron, E. Sansonetti, P. Vanderslott, S. Wieler, L. ‘Development of vaccines at the time of Covid-19’ microLife. uqaa003. doi.org/10.1093/femsml/uqaa003
- Vanderslott, S. and Marks, T. (2020). Health diplomacy across borders: the case of yellow fever and COVID-19. Journal of Travel Medicine. taaa112. doi.org/10.1093/jtm/taaa112
- Vindrola-Padros, C. Chisnall, G. Cooper, S. Djellouli, N. Dowrick, A. Martin, S. Singleton, G. Symmons, S. Vanderslott, S. et al. (2020). Carrying Out Rapid Qualitative Research During a Pandemic: Emerging Lessons From COVID-19. Qualitative Health Research. August: 104973232095152. doi:10.1177/1049732320951526
- Vindrola-Padros, C. Andrews, L. Dowrick, A. Djellouli, N. Fillmore, H. Bautista Gonzalez, E. Javadi, D. Lewis-Jackson, S. Manby, L. Mitchinson, L. Symmons, S. Martin, S. Regenold, N. Robinson, N. Sumray, K. Singleton, G. Syversen, A. Vanderslott, S. et al. (2020). Perceptions and experiences of healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic in the UK,
- Vanderslott, S. (2020). Neglected Tropical Diseases. Nature & Culture. 15(1):78-110. doi:10.3167/nc.2020.150105
- Kraemer, MUG. Pigott, DM. Hill, SC. Vanderslott, S. et al. (2020). Dynamics of conflict during the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo 2018–2019. BMC Medicine. 18(1):113. doi:10.1186/s12916-020-01574-1
- Kirchhelle, C. Pollard, AJ. Vanderslott, S. (2019). Typhoid—From Past to Future. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 69 (Supplement_5): S375-S376. doi:10.1093/cid/ciz551
- Vanderslott, S. Phillips, MT. Pitzer, VE. Kirchhelle, C. (2019). Water and Filth: Reevaluating the First Era of Sanitary Typhoid Intervention (1840–1940). Clinical Infectious Diseases. 69 (Supplement_5): S377-S384. doi:10.1093/cid/ciz610
- Giubilini, A., Caviola, L., Maslen, H., Douglas, T., Nussberger, A.-M., Faber, N. S., Vanderslott, S. Loving, S., Harrison, M., & Savulescu, J. (2019). Nudging immunity: the case for vaccinating children in school and day care by default. HEC Forum doi.org/10.1007/s10730-019-09383-7
- Vanderslott, S. (2019). Exploring the meaning of pro-vaccine activism across two countries. Social Science & Medicine, 222, 59–66. doi.org/10.1016/J.SOCSCIMED.2018.12.033
- Vanderslott, S. (2019). Moving From Outsider to Insider Status Through Metrics: The Inclusion of “Neglected Tropical Diseases” Into the Sustainable Development Goals. Journal of Human Development & Capabilities, 1-18. doi:10.1080/19452829.2019.1574727
- Zheng, Q, Vanderslott, S. et al. (2013). Research gaps for three main tropical diseases in the People’s Republic of China. Infectious Diseases of Poverty, 2(1). doi.org/10.1186/2049-9957-2-15
Vanderslott, S. Neglect in policy problems: the case of ‘neglected tropical diseases’. (2017) Doctoral thesis. UCL (University College London). Available at: http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1573231/
- Kirchhelle, C. Pollard, A. Vanderslott, S. (2019) ‘Making a Difference? The past, present, and future of typhoid control’ Clinical Infectious Diseases. Volume 69, Issue Supplement_5, 1 November. S375-S411. doi:10.1093/cid/ciz551
- Paul, KT. Vanderslott, S. Gross, M. (forthcoming – 2021) Institutionalized Ignorance in Policy & Regulation. Special issue. Science as Culture.
- Vijaykumar, S. Jin, Y. Vanderslott S, (2021) ‘Chapter 12. COVID-19 misinformation: impacts, challenges and responses for public health’ in ‘Continental dialogues on health communication in times of pandemic’ National Council of Health Secretaries (CONASS), International Editorial Line in Support of Health Systems (LEIASS) Volume 6, Brasília. www.conass.org.br/biblioteca/dialogos-continentais-sobre-comunicacao-em-saude-em-tempos-de-pandemia/
- Vanderslott S, (2020). “Encouraging vaccination ethically: How can vaccination-preventable diseases and pox parties for grannies be avoided?” American Journal of Bioethics. doi.org/10.1080/15265161.2020.1795545
- Vanderslott, S. (2019) Book review: Gareth Millward “Vaccinating Britain: Mass Vaccination and the Public since the Second World War.” Public Understanding of Science. July. doi:10.1177/0963662519860722
- Vanderslott, S. (2019). “A Response to ‘Uptake of a Conspiracy Theory Attribution: Part 1 and 2’ by Brian Martin.” Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 8 (9): 47-50. https://wp.me/p1Bfg0-4q8.
- Vanderslott, S. (2019). “Study Shows Lower Vaccination Rates for Younger Siblings after Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis in Older Siblings.” Evidence Based Nursing. doi:10.1136/ebnurs-2018-102971
- Vanderslott, S. (November 2020) Uniquely Uncertain: The impact of COVID-19 on vaccine hesitancy. OECD Forum. https://www.oecd-forum.org/posts/uniquely-uncertain-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-vaccine-hesitancy
- Burns, R. Enria, L. Bowmer, A. Vanderslott, S. Lees, S. (October 2020) Clinical and Vaccine Trials for COVID-19: Key Considerations from Social Science, SSHAP https://opendocs.ids.ac.uk/opendocs/handle/20.500.12413/15687
- Fairgrieve, D. Holm, S. Howells G. Kirchhelle, C. Vanderslott, S. (2020) COVID-19 vaccines: in favour of a bespoke compensation scheme for adverse effects: A briefing paper. BIICL. https://www.biicl.org/newsitems/16431/covid-19-vaccine-briefing
- Fairgrieve, D. Feldschreiber, P. Goldberg, R. Holm, S. Howells G. Kirchhelle, C.
Pilgerstorfer, M. Vanderslott, S. (2020) Response to DHSC Open Consultation: Changes to Human Medicine Regulations to support the rollout of COVID-19 Vaccines. BIICL. https://www.biicl.org/publications/response-to-dhsc-open-consultation-changes-to-human-medicine-regulations-to-support-the-rollout-of-covid-19-vaccines
- Vanderslott, S. (December 2018) ‘O’Neil’s 6th commandment’. The Microbiologist https://sfam.org.uk/uploads/assets/uploaded/8382a639-75b9-4eb3-8ec71d8ac207325f.pdf
Vanderslott S. and Roser, M. (2013) Vaccination Page for ‘Our World in Data’ visualising long-term global development trends: https://ourworldindata.org/vaccination
Media and non-peer reviewed articles
- Vanderslott, S. (24 September 2020), Coronavirus: the road to vaccine roll-out is always bumpy, as 20th-century pandemics show, The Week, Available at: https://www.theweek.co.uk/108174/history-of-20th-century-pandemics-vaccine-development-is-bumpy-ride
- Kirchhelle, C. and Vanderslott, S. (11 June 2020), Challenging Circumstances: we need international guidelines for human infection studies, The Medium, Available at: https://medium.com/oxford-university/challenging-circumstances-we-need-international-guidelines-for-human-infection-studies-688051c869f9
- Vanderslott, S. (9 April 2020), What impact will the COVID-19 pandemic have on anti-vaxxers? The Conversation, Available at: https://theconversation.com/what-impact-will-the-covid-19-pandemic-have-on-anti-vaxxers-135153
- Vanderslott, S. (30 March 2020), Pollard, A, Thomas, T. Coronavirus vaccine: here are the steps it will need to go through during development, The Conversation, Available at: https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-vaccine-here-are-the-steps-it-will-need-to-go-through-during-development-134726
- Vanderslott, S. (20 March 2020), How to spot coronavirus fake news – an expert guide, The Conversation, Available at: https://theconversation.com/how-to-spot-coronavirus-fake-news-an-expert-guide-133843
- Kirchhelle, C. and Vanderslott, S. (30 October 2019), Decades neglecting an ancient disease has triggered a health emergency around the world, The Conversation, Available at: https://theconversation.com/decades-neglecting-an-ancient-disease-has-triggered-a-health-emergency-around-the-world-121282
- Guibilini, A and Vanderslott, S. (30 September 2019), Is mandatory vaccination the best way to tackle falling rates of childhood immunisation? Oxford Martin School, Available at: https://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/blog/is-mandatory-vaccination-the-best-way-to-tackle-falling-rates-of-childhood-immunisation/
- Vanderslott, S. (August 1, 2019), Skepticism to vaccines and what to do about it Our World in Data, Available at: https://ourworldindata.org/vaccine-skepticism
- Vanderslott, S. and Richie, H. (August 1, 2019), How many people support vaccination across the world? Our World in Data, Available at: https://ourworldindata.org/support-for-vaccination
- Vanderslott, S. and Kirchhelle, C. (April 2019) ‘How was typhoid eliminated in the past?’, Take on Typhoid http://www.coalitionagainsttyphoid.org/how-was-typhoid-eliminated-in-the-past/
- Vanderslott, S. (March, 2018), ‘Anti-vaxxer effect on vaccination rates is exaggerated’, The Conversation, Available at: https://theconversation.com/anti-vaxxer-effect-on-vaccination-rates-is-exaggerated-92630
- Vanderslott, S. Loving and S. Milicic, A (July, 2017) What’s behind the sudden rise in measles deaths in Europe? International Business Times, Available at: http://www.ibtimes.com/why-deadly-measles-outbreak-europe-killing-so-many-people-2566059
- Vanderslott, S. (April, 2017) ‘Despite scepticism, Europe has high vaccination rates – but it shouldn’t be complacent’, The Independent, Available at: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/despite-scepticism-europe-has-high-vaccination-rates-but-it-shouldn-t-be-complacent-a7702081.html
- Vanderslott, S. (November 18, 2017) How new vaccines can help with our antibiotic dependence Our World in Data, Available at: https://ourworldindata.org/vaccines-antibiotic-dependence
- Vanderslott, S. and Su, Y. (October 27, 2015) ‘Will a Nobel Prize Change China’s Perspective on Innovation?’, CounterPunch, Available at: http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/10/27/will-a-nobel-prize-change-chinas-perspective-on-innovation/#_ftn2